Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Sachin was clearly ahead of his time but did not grow as I wanted him to: Kapil Dev - The Hindu

Sachin was clearly ahead of his time but did not grow as I wanted him to: Kapil Dev - The Hindu



QUOTE:
"Kapil Dev is pained that his compliment to Sachin Tendulkar has been misinterpreted and led to widespread criticism.
He recalled the “Kapil can’t get another Test fifty” remark from Sunil Gavaskar. “It was for my good. He was challenging me to raise my game. I got a fifty in the next match (a sterling 79-ball 69 in his next innings at Bombay against Pakistan) and one more two Tests later (a 98-ball 84 and 11 wickets as India beat Pakistan at Chennai too).
“Gavaskar used to say that I should have scored 5000 runs more than what I did. In hindsight, I agree I should have taken my batting seriously. But importantly, I didn’t take Gavaskar’s remark in the wrong sense. He challenged me and I accepted it.”
UNQUOTE
An important part of Kapil Dev. He responded to the criticism from Sunil Gavaskar with his performance. It is a good point to emulate. Many students have faced criticism from teachers, sometimes very adverse and humiliating. Most students get discouraged. Only a few respond and rise to the challenge to prove that they are capable.